What Is So Special About Private Yoga Lessons?
I teach group yoga classes, corporate yoga (yoga in the workplace) and specialise in teaching private lessons in Luzern and central Switzerland.
When I first started teaching, I assumed that teaching a private yoga class would be similar to teaching a group class to one person. I know many others felt the same.
I’d always been interested in teaching 1:1 as well as group classes. Then quite by chance, I discovered and signed up for a speciality 3 month teacher training focusing on private clients with Francesca Cervero.
Having already taken an intensive foundation yoga teacher training programme, where we were guided to teach safe and beneficial group classes that may include a large number of people, I was curious and a little baffled as to why it would take so long to learn how teach a single person!
Francesca had been teaching 20+ private clients per week for over 10 years in New York and they were all very long-term clients, so I reckoned she had something valuable to share on the subject.
I was in for a complete surprise. The course completely changed my view of my role as a yoga teacher and outlook on teaching in general.
Although the programme focused on teaching 1:1, much of what I’ve learnt I’ve applied to my group classes as well.
I love teaching private yoga because I wholeheartedly believe that you don’t need the latest trendy fitness programme, the perfect yoga studio, the coolest gear or a mass of other people around you to spur you on.
You just need ONE person who shows up for you, who meets you exactly where you are, to inspire and support positive and sustainable shifts in your health and well-being.
Here are some things for you to consider when choosing a private yoga course and reasons why a private lesson is so special and different from a group class:
A private yoga class caters specifically to YOUR individual needs
- You don’t have to follow the teacher and main group, I’ll meet you right where you are and we’ll focus on your needs, challenges and goals.
- All poses and modifications will cater specifically to your body.
- You’ll experience positive shifts and breakthroughs far quicker than if you only practiced in a group class.
A private yoga class can support your intention
- I’ll take you from not moving at all, if that is your current state, to fully integrating yoga into your life so you have the tools and confidence to practice on your own.
- If, on the other hand, you enjoy sport either professionally or as a hobby and would like support working towards a goal/challenge, we can work on specific exercises to compliment your training.
- Do you already practice in a group class and have a question about your practice, a pose or suitable modification? Private lessons can really help to support your existing practice whether in the studio or at home.
“I would definitely recommend private yoga. “I had reservations before starting that I wasn’t “good” enough, i.e. not flexible and not sporty enough to do yoga…” —Céline Estermann
I am 100% there for you
- I’ll see and guide you through every movement, pose, sequence.
- You can ask as many questions as you like.
- We can take time to discuss, break down or adapt any pose taking into account any injury or discomfort you may have.
- We don’t have to do anything you don’t want to do!
- I’m available for you way beyond our private yoga lesson together. You can contact me at any time with questions, observations and thoughts that come up during the week.
You don’t have to worry about parking, rush hour traffic or losing time getting to the yoga studio.
- We’ll meet on a day and time that is convenient for you in the comfort of your own home, office or preferred space.
- I’ll help to hold you accountable to your practice.
- I’ll guarantee our times together and be there to support you every week.
You get exactly what you need at each session.
- Each lesson will focus on what will support you most on that given day. You may find, for example, that you’ve set your intention on building core strength only to find that the night before your yoga lesson the children kept you up all night and you feel depleted and sleep deprived. What you really need right now is an hour to help you find balance, peace and energy to get through your busy day.
“Karen tailors sessions precisely to your needs. “She helps ease you into challenging poses and introduces new moves and breathing concepts as you progress. Not sure I could go back to class sessions after such bespoke teaching!..” —Joanne
A private class may take many forms
- Finding the right balance in your life is important. Each session is likely to be different on a physical and emotional level depending on how you’re feeling.
- You always have a choice, we can work mainly on the physical practice and/or I can introduce you to simple breathing and meditation techniques.
If you’re interested in private yoga, contact me and we’ll schedule a 30 minute phone call to answer any of your questions and see if it’s a good fit for both of us.
I look forward to hearing from you!
P.S. If you don’t live in Luzern or central Switzerland, it’s not a problem – I can still offer you private yoga and will share more in my next post.